Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The foster home

I stumbled upon a photo last night of the outside of the simulated family homes that they boys live in. It was posted by a family that is also adopting from Jacob & Joey's orphanage and as I sat....quite honestly stunned....at the photo that was before me, it was all I could do to not go get in the minivan and drive to the airport.

I nearly felt like I was going to have a panic attack and had to remind myself over and over again that they are being well cared for, that they appear happy and healthy and that this is mostly cultural as far as the style and structure of the buildings.

Nonetheless, it was kind of a rough moment.

Here's the photo:
My children live there.

Even now, a day later, I still have mixed emotions on this one. Though I knew in my head that they weren't living in a palace
-duh-
I guess seeing it before me was a bit unsettling and it largely shattered the image I had concocted in my head of what their surroundings looked like.

I know, I know, I know that this is China*, the most populated country on Earth, this is how they live. It is how homes are constructed.
I get that.
My brain gets that.
My heart however, just continues to scream..
but my children live there.

Part of the journey I guess.
Part of the journey that is ever changing my scope of vision.
The vision that is ever-widening beyond my spoiled American borders.
The vision that is ever growing within me,
The vision that is challenging me to think about what else...
how else...
where else...
what more can we do to care for the orphan, to reach the un-reached, to share the love and the light of the Gospel.
And for that, I am beyond thankful. Because I don't want to view this world through my lens.
I want to see it through His.
Because His is the only one that matters to me.

*In other news, no LSC today, I'll share his photo with ya as soon as I hear it's on the way.*

5 comments:

  1. S. If it makes you feel any better, I have stayed in places that look almost like that. It is very common it have bars in the windows and a less than inviting exterior. Inside is a whole different world. In May my motel room looked out a a building that was about to fall down and another that had been gutted by fire. Inside we had marble floors and beautiful cahndeliers.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least there are bars over the windows, so many of the buildings we saw in that country have the windows open and they are many floors up. I just can't believe the little kids don't crawl/fall out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have pictures from two disposable cameras of where my two year old stayed. The foster family loved her, but their standard for cleanliness is very low...wow! It is definitely the culture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say it looks like an okay building to me. I was reassured by the bars as I have been in countries where muti-storied buildings had windows that just opened wide and I also wondered how people or children didn't fall out. Plus the windows look decorated and even have plants. The boys will be fine and will be in SHOCK when they see their new home. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting - when I looked at that picture I never noticed all the detail others are seeing. I saw it as another boring building.

    It matters not to me what the outside looks like, rather the conditions on the inside - where our little girl waits for us.

    I do understand the urge to grab the next flight though.

    ReplyDelete